Did you lose any of your family member who was a frontline health care worker as a result of the covid-19 related causes? If your answer to the above question is yes, then you are eligible for the Brave of Heart Scholarship Program.
The Application is open to eligible applicants. You should quickly check other eligibility criteria and begin your application. The good news is the Award is not competitive but you must apply before the application deadline which is October 5, 2022, at 3:00 pm CT and it’s
About the Brave of Heart Scholarship Program
In the year 2020, the Foundations of Cigna and New York Life decided to host a scholarship Avenue known as the “Brave of Heart Scholarship”. The main purpose of the scholarship is to provide charity and emotional support in form of scholarship opportunities so the families of Frontline health workers volunteers and support staff who lost their lives as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and other related courses. The scholarship is a symbol of honor to the Brave and Gallant men of the U.S. health sector who paid the ultimate price to curtail the deadly virus.
Who are Frontline Healthcare Workers
To qualify as a Frontline healthcare worker under the Brave of Heart Scholarship Program, you must be a person:
- who lived in the United States at the time of death
- who volunteered to work for a licensed hospital, medical center or clinic, nursing home, medical transport vehicle, triage center, or other licensed medical facilities.
- That volunteered to work as an emergency medical technician, ambulance technician, or paramedic.
- who has had the possibility of exposure to patients with COVID-19 while being a worker or a volunteer.
Brave of Heart Scholarship Award Information – FAQ
If you are considering whether the Brave of Heart Scholarship is worth it, then this section of the article explains it all for you. We will provide you with detailed award information you need to know in the subheadings BELOW.
How Much is distributed yearly by the Brave of Heart Scholarship?
There is no specified amount distributed yearly by Brave of Heart. Instead, the disbursal amount is determined annually by the available fund in the covers of the Brave of Heart Fund. This means that the total of the annual distribution/award may not always be the same each year.
What you Need to Know about the Award
- The awards are not renewable. This means that it only lasts for one academic year. However, awardees can always reapply to the program provided they continue to meet the eligibility requirements.
- Awardees are only entitled to receive the award for a maximum of eight terms or four academic years (whichever occurs first).
Students with Financial Need
Below are the award details for undergraduates and postgraduate students who have demonstrated financial need in their application.
- If you are a Full-time Student and have demonstrated financial need, you may receive a maximum of $60,000 for an Undergraduate Degree in a Non-Healthcare Major.
For Full-time students studying Undergraduate Degree in Healthcare (or pre-med) Major who have demonstrated financial need, they will receive a maximum of $100,000.
For graduate degree students who have a Patient that is facing Healthcare Major, they will receive a maximum of $200,000.
Students without Financial Need
- If you have not demonstrated any financial need, the Brave of Heart Scholarship will grant you an honorarium award of $5,000.
- However, such honorarium recipient is encouraged to reapply once their financial situation change.
How are Scholarship Recipients Selected?
The selection of recipients of the Brave of Heart Scholarship is solely administered by Scholarship America. They will verify the applicant’s eligibility and thereafter determine students’ individual financial needs based on the information available.
Furthermore, the beautiful thing is that the scholarship offered by Brave of Heart is not a competitive program. This means that all eligible applicants are entitled to receive an award.
Disbursement and Payment of Scholarships
The first thing is that successful applicants will be notified by Nov 22. Thereafter, the disbursement of the award to the successful applicant will commence.
Scholarship America must process and disburse the awards on behalf of the Brave of Heart Fund. Also, note that the award will be paid directly to the applicant’s college or university and the student will be communicated through their mail.
Finally, the student must make sure that the scholarship check is deposited with the appropriate quarters of the college or university.
What are the eligibility criteria for the Brave of Heart Scholarship Program? What do I need to know?
Below are the criteria to become eligible for the Brave of Heart Scholarship Program:
- Must be U.S. citizens or legal residents living in the United States.
- You must be a child or domestic partner of frontline health care workers who lost his/her lives to COVID-related causes. To qualify as a child, you must be either a biological, step- or legally adopted child.
- Also you are either spouses or domestic partners of frontline health care workers.
- You must be between 26 years old and below as of the time/date of the application deadline.
- You must be living in the frontline healthcare worker’s household to be qualified or that you are primarily supported by the frontline healthcare worker.
- If you are a child deceased Frontline healthcare worker and you are financially independent, you must be enrolled in a graduate school program to be eligible for the Brave of Heart Scholarship.
- Must plan to enroll in a full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate study at an accredited two- or four-year college, or university in the next academic year.
- Must plan to attend a two- four-year accredited vocational-technical school in the United States.
- Finally, also the Applicants must meet a minimum of 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent
Furthermore, to read more on the eligibility criteria for a parent, spouse, or child requirements, kindly visit the application page.
Conclusion on the Brave of Heart Scholarship Program
Currently, the Brave of Heart Scholarship Program is open for the eligible applicant and will close on October 5, 2022, at 3:00 pm CT.
We, therefore, encourage you to apply for this scholarship if you are a spouse or dependent of a frontline health worker who lost their life to the Covid 19 pandemic.
Lastly, thank you for reading this article today. We hope you will share this scholarship news with your friend and colleagues who may need them.